Comedian Jack Benny: ‘When you are speaking, timing is not so much knowing when to speak, but knowing when to pause’
Seven types of pause:
- Phrasing: taken whenever a punctuation mark is used.
- Breathing: to enable breath to be renewed.
- Rhythmic: associated with the rhythm of speech
- Underlining: used after a word or phrase to let its importance sink in.
- Emotional: used during emotional passages to enhance the effect.
- Confident: used at the beginning of a speech to emphasise the speaker’s authority and confidence. (and create anticipation)
- Emphatic: used before a word or phrase to make it stand out. (or tease)